Thursday, March 17, 2011

A Trip Down Memory Lane...All Aboard!

Tomorrow I head to Chicago and the burbs for a very SPECIAL trip...and in so many ways. I get to spend time with my son George who lives with his Dad and who I miss dearly and thank the Lord for facebook so I can daily trot over to his wall and see what he is up to without being an intrusive mother:) Recently George participated in the St Baldrick's Fundraiser where he shaved his head and in the process went over his $500 goal of donations in memory of his brother, his team he poignantly titled "Ollie Express". Oof....he shared with me recently that despite it's been 7 years this month since he's been gone, he feels it more than ever, contrary to the old saying that I admit pisses me off when I hear it, of 'time being a healer'. We never fully heal. It just changes and have learnt that what we do with our grief contributes greatly. So proud of my son George and when I see him, shall kiss that beautiful bald head.  It has been almost a year since I left Lifetime Fitness and to be walking through the doors again will be emotional for the six years I spent there was so much more than teaching. Teaching group fitness to me is about connecting...bonding and for the group fitness groupies out there and fellow instructors, I see you nodding your head. You get it.  I recall a year after Ollie's death, my grief all consuming and head buried in writing it all OUT, I had imagined I would never teach again and certainly had no plans to. How could I return to something I was so passionate about when I was dead inside? You know it's funny because in the 20 years I've been in this business, for many of those the father of my children, Pete, considered my then part time teaching something as almost frivolous, could not 'see' what I saw in teaching and would often joke to me about it. Yet over the years he did 'see'. He knew what it was truly all about for me...he got it. Despite we were separated at the time, Pete came over to see me one day where he found me in my usual spot at the computer, dressing gown on, a slovenly mess as my fingers bashed away, forgetting selfishly my other two children as I neglected not only them, yet also myself. He handed me the local newspaper. "You should go audition for this Deb.  It's time." Looking at the newspaper he had circled an ad. Lifetime Fitness were looking for staff for their new facility opening late that Summer. At the time, I barely looked at it, wallowing in self pity. A week later, I came across the ad again when our kitty Ella had lain across it on the floor and picking it up, decided to call. I don't even know why, for I really don't recall actively thinking about it. My journey with my Lifetime Fitness family had begun. The members I came to know and love MORE than just my members gave me MORE than I gave them.  They were instrumental in my healing as a mother. I grew with them, alongside them, and they with me. I shared everything with them, laughter AND tears in Studio 1 and in the cafeteria where we would often sit and chat about life, love and the whole bloody Universe. They were with me when I shared my dreams, my loss, my joy and CHEERED when my son had the Metra Passenger Engine 401 named after him, sought it out, travelled on it, shared their inspirations from it and applauded in class when they learnt my book would be published. They were witness to a dream happening before their eyes.  My Lifetime Fitness WAS and IS and always will be, my FAMILY and to be able to spend some time with them this weekend, both in the class room and at the book signing, on the anniversary of Ollie's passing is a beautiful GIFT and as Ollie himself knows as he flies across the tracks, everything happens when it is supposed to and as always, RIGHT ON TIME:) I am also deeply honored to be the Guest Speaker at a Corporate Breakfast down town Chicago on Thursday morning where I will be sharing my thoughts with around 200 guests, the 'Children's Champions', philanthropists and corporate companies who give generously each year to Children's Memorial, an honor because I finally get to say, thank you. Children's informed me that they have purchased 150 of my books to give as gifts to these wonderful patrons and I await eagerly how it will affect them...the journey continues....and happy am I that I am doing what my Ollie asked...and of course right on time as I type those words I hear a train honking....

No comments:

Post a Comment